Zillow vs Trulia | What’s the Difference Between Zillow and Trulia
- Both websites are databases that show properties for sale and for rent
- Neither company employs it’s own agents. Another similar site, Redfin, does employ it’s own team of agents
- Both make money by helping connect buyers, sellers, and real estate agents. You’ll see lots of ads for agents and mortgage companies on both sites
- Both sites are great for browsing available properties
While Zillow and Trulia have a lot in common, there are a few important differences:
- Zillow provides a Zestimate which is their proprietary system for estimating the market value of a property. Trulia does not provide any such estimate
- Trulia contains a Crime Map so users can more easily see crime data
- There are different visuals and a different browsing experience on each site. Your preference may vary; one isn’t necessarily better than the other
Common Questions About Redfin and Zillow and Trulia
Q: Is Redfin, Zillow, or Trulia more accurate in estimating home values?
A: Only Redfin and Zillow provide estimates. Trulia does not. Between Redfin and Zillow, Zillow appears to be more accurate by a slight amount.
Q: How does Redfin, Zillow, and Trulia make money?
A: Redfin primary makes money when buyers and sellers use Redfin agents to buy/sell properties. The sales commissions are Redfin’s primary revenue source.
Zillow and Trulia both make most of their money through advertising revenue. Real estate agents, property management companies, and mortgage lenders all pay Zillow to advertise on Zillow.com and Trulia.com.
Zillow also earns money through a program called Zillow Offers. This a home buying program where Zillow buys a home directly from a seller.
Q: Will Redfin, Zillow, or Trulia buy my house?
A: Redfin will not. Trulia will not either. Zillow may buy your home through the Zillow Offers program (use caution before going down this path as you very likely will not receive true market value for your home).
Q: Should I use Redfin or Zillow instead of a traditional agent?
A: We have both bought and sold with Redfin agents and found the experience to be wonderful. There is no real difference between the work performed by a Redfin agent as compared to a traditional agent. The main difference is you will save money with Redfin. Each agent is unique so no matter if you use Redfin or a tradition agent you may find agents you click better with; it’s wise to talk to multiple agents when starting your process.
Want to learn more? Check out our article on Redfin vs Zillow here.