Table of Contents
How much does a wedding DJ cost?
Venue cost, wedding DJ cost, dress cost, floral cost… it’s crazy how many different ways there are to spend money on your wedding.
But let’s keep the big picture in mind. This is a special day and special things often take time and money! I’m going to go out on a limb and say chances are you’d like your wedding to be fun and memorable for you and your guests. Maybe that means a stunning venue, amazing food, a packed dance floor, or speeches that somehow manages to be both heartfelt and hilarious. Regardless of your vision, one key decision to planning a wedding is your entertainment choice. A wedding DJ is a super popular choice but of course it requires money. In this article we’ll reveal facts you need to know about wedding DJ costs as well as a few ideas on how to save money.
But first, what are your options for musical entertainment at your wedding?
Wedding Entertainment Options
- Friend’s Spotify Playlist: Use extreme caution here!
- Live band: Can be great but costly
- DJ: Most popular choice
Not to knock your friend’s taste in music but chances are they’ve never announced a bridal party and chances are don’t know how to get the party going on the dance floor. In addition to playing music, DJs announce the wedding party, set up lighting, and overall create a fun vibe on your big day. To really do it right, most people either go the live band route or the DJ route. But what does it cost to have a DJ at your wedding?
Wedding DJ Price Summary | Average cost = $1,200
Based on our highly scientific research, the average cost of a wedding DJ is around $1,200. However depending your market the cost of a wedding DJ can vary wildly.
- Average Wedding DJ Cost: $1,200
- Major Market (NYC, LA) Cost: $2,000-$3,000
- Mid Market Cost: $900 – $1,800
- Small Market Cost: $700 – $1,250
You can see the wedding DJ cost can really jump if you’re in a big or expensive market like NYC, LA, San Francisco, or Seattle.
Wedding DJ Price Factors
What factors impact how much you’ll pay for a wedding DJ?
- Market: Big city DJs cost more than small city DJs
- Experience: Experienced DJs can command a higher rate
- Duration: Many DJs have a base package; if you want an extra hour you pay more
- Ceremony / Cocktail Hour / Reception: If you book your DJ for more than just the reception expect to pay more
- Lighting: Extra lighting costs more money
Example: Experienced DJs in New York City are not what I’d called inexpensive. The first guy costs $5k but just look at those cool glasses 😎
Wedding DJ Cost vs Wedding Band Cost
There is a pretty sharp contrast between the average cost of a wedding band which will run you about $4,500. Spoiler alert: the wedding DJ price is typically A LOT lower!
- Average Wedding DJ Cost: $1,200
- Average Wedding Band Cost: $4,500
You can see a that wedding band will run you about $3,000 more as compared to a wedding DJ. Live entertainment is amazing but you have to decide if it’s worth paying the premium for a band and if it’s something you can fit in the budget.
How to save money on a wedding DJ?
There is a pretty sharp contrast between the average cost of a wedding DJ versus the average cost of a wedding band. Spoiler alert: the wedding DJ price is typically A LOT lower!
- No extras: Cut out the extras like extra lighting or other superfluous add-ons that DJs try to up-sell you on
- Reception only: Just book your DJ for the reception
- Rising star: Find a young up-and-coming DJ that you like but doesn’t command top rates yet
- Negotiate: Almost everything in life is negotiable. It can’t hurt to ask if a DJ has any flex on his or her rates
How to find a wedding DJ?
Because there are so many options out there it can feel a bit overwhelming finding a good wedding DJ. Here are a few ways to find a good DJ:
Good luck in your search for a wedding DJ and best of luck on your big day!
Wedding Flowers? 🌺 Check out our post on wedding flowers to learn average cost, how to save money, and more.