Blog Income Report
Each month we publish our blog income report. This is the spot where I can share a peek into the good, bad, and ugly of starting a blog.
January 2020 Thoughts
In December I flipped the on switch for WealthFam. January was the first full month.
Overall January was a promising month. I was on the My First Million podcast (listen here) and the response was amazing… I probably received 100+ emails, Tweets, etc from all sorts of really interesting people. Lesson: podcasts can have amazing reach and can be really powerful in telling your story!
The two biggest challenges for me right now are as follows:
- Patience: Content/blogging requires patience. You don’t just flip the switch, rank on page 1 of Google, and start crushing it. Most sites will take at least 6 months to start seeing any traffic. From someone coming from an Amazon business staying patient has been tough. With Amazon FBA or physical products you get almost immediate feedback from the marketplace. Content is a whole different ballgame. Persistence and patience win out so trying to make great content and then wait. Hopefully the site will find some eyeballs eventually.
- Selecting Content: Actually determining what to write about has been difficult as well. There are two types of content that I’m still trying to figure out how to balance:
- Content I’m passionate about and want to write about even if my keyword tools say it’s crazy to write about it (either low traffic and/or too much competition)
- Content that has low(ish) keyword difficulty and sufficient search volume.
Blog Income Report – January 2020
Ad Revenue: $0
Affiliate Income: $0
Sponsorship Revenue: $0
Product Revenue: $0
TOTAL INCOME: $0
The plan has been to grow the site and then monetize so no income will be the theme for the next few months.
To help create content I’ve hired an awesome freelancer. That was the biggest expense for January.
January 2020 EARNINGS: -$1,586
About Us & WealthFam
In early 2019 we sold our e-commerce business to a group of private investors. This was the culmination of years of hard work and was a life changer for our family. It was stressful, exciting, and rewarding all at the same time. It made us true believers in the power of online businesses and financial freedom. We learned so much for podcasts and various websites and hope this website in some small way can help someone else on their journey. You can read all about our story here if interested.
WealthFam combines all the things we love:
- Personal finance (Paul is a former CPA and personal finance nerd)
- Online business and marketing
- Educating and helping people live better financial lives
Thanks for reading, caring, and following along with our journey. We appreciate it!
-Risa & Paul
Our resource page was designed to be a one stop shop with all the important stuff. Check it out!